The beginning

1869
The beginning

In 1869, two years after the borough of Thames was established at a time when the town boasted a bustling gold-mining industry and a larger population than Auckland, James Armstrong Miller commenced legal practice in Thames and was joined in partnership in 1871 by John Edwin MacDonald.

The two practised from premises in Albert Street, Thames. In that same year, John William Poulgrain was taken on as an articled clerk who later acted as managing clerk until he retired in 1931 after 60 years of service.